The M.S. in Apparel Merchandising at Indiana University Bloomington offers artists intensive study in the areas of merchandising, dress studies, and fashion design.
Apparel Merchandising (M.S.)
Admission requirements + information
- You must have completed 18 semester hours of undergraduate credit in apparel studies and/or a related field (e.g., economics), 9 of which must be at the junior or senior level
- Graduated with a 3.0 GPA or higher in undergraduate program
- Latest undergraduate and graduate transcripts are required. Unofficial copies may be provided at the time of application. Official transcript copies are required for the enrollment in the program upon acceptance
- For international applicants, the TOEFL or IELTS test is required:
- TOEFL must be taken within the last 2 years with a score of 90 or above on the Internet-based test (iBT) or IELTS of 7.5 or above
- Unofficial test scores may be submitted at the time of application. An official TOEFL or IELTS test score is required for enrollment in the program if the applicant is offered admission. Official TOEFL score reports should be submitted using school code 1324
- Incomplete applications and/or items received after the deadline will not be reviewed
- GRE must be taken within the last 5 years with minimum scores of 300 total on the Verbal and Quantitative sections on the computer-based test and 3.5 on the Analytical Writing section
The School of Art, Architecture and Design accepts applications for fall semester only.
All application materials must be received by 5 p.m. on January 1st, 2018.
All application materials must be received by 5 p.m. on December 15th, 2017.
Steps to apply
You must send all materials by certified mail. Due to the volume of mail, the school cannot notify applicants of missing documents or confirm the receipt of materials.
- 1. Complete the online application
You must apply for admission to the University Graduate School. Your online application should be submitted at least two weeks before the deadline in order for your recommenders to have the opportunity to respond by the deadline. Your portfolio will not be considered if you do not submit this application. Please notify your recommenders of the deadlines.
You must provide the following information in the online application:
- When asked to indicate your Academic Program, please select “Apparel Merchandising” in the drop down menu.
- Three letters of recommendation: Submit the contact information (including names, street addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses) of three people who will submit your letters of recommendation via the online application system. The online system will then email your contacts with instructions on how to submit their references online. The online recommendations should address your potential for academic success in a graduate program.
International students must apply through the Office of International Services.
- 2. Pay the application fees
The total cost for submitting the application is $65 for domestic applicants and $75 for international applicants.
The application fee comprises a $55 (domestic applicant) or $65 (international applicant) fee paid upon submission of the online IU application and a $10 fee paid upon submission of the online portfolio.
The application fees are non-refundable.
- 3. Send your official transcripts
Send official transcripts from all of your undergraduate institutions attended, as well as from any graduate programs (if applicable).
The transcript must demonstrate a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
For international students, if the original documents are not in English, a verified translation must be sent with your official transcripts in your native language.
If you are in the process of completing a bachelor’s degree when you apply, a transcript showing your current enrollment in your course of study is acceptable. If admitted to IU, you must submit a final, official transcript verifying the completion of your degree and the date your degree was awarded directly to IU prior to your matriculation.
Mail official domestic transcripts to:
School of Art, Architecture and Design
Fine Arts Building 123
1201 E. Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Mail official international transcripts (with English translation) to:
400 E. Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405 USA
For domestic students: If your institution(s) can submit official transcripts electronically, please have them emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4. Submit your TOEFL results (international students only)
The testing service should report the TOEFL scores directly to Indiana University Bloomington.
IU’s TOEFL code is 1324.
M.F.A. English proficiency minimum score requirements:
- TOEFL minimum score 90 OR IELTS minimum score 7.5
Learn more about TOEFL requirements.
- If your native language is not English, we require you to take IU’s English Proficiency Examination (IEPE) upon arrival at the university to determine if you must take any English courses. Students must agree to take any English courses prescribed from the results of this examination. Fees for special part-time English courses are the same as for other courses; however, credits earned in these English courses do not meet degree requirements.
- If the results of the proficiency exam indicate that full-time work in English is required, you will be assigned to the Intensive English Program (IEP). Students enrolled in IEP do not take academic courses until they achieve adequate English proficiency. If you have serious doubts about your English ability and are not financially prepared to undertake the additional time and expense of an intensive English program here, you may consider delaying your application to a future semester.
- Finally, students who are eligible for an associate instructorship position must meet additional English language requirements including passing the Test of English Proficiency for International Associate Instructor Candidates.
- TOEFL minimum score 90 OR IELTS minimum score 7.5